Monday, August 4, 2014

On 8-10-14, 2 Corinthians 1:23-2:11 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as A Community Forgives or Forgiveness and Restoration

A Community Forgives or Forgiveness and Restoration
 2 Corinthians 1:23-2:11
International Sunday School Lesson
August 10, 2014
                                                                                 


Commentary
By
Jed Greenough


How much do you consider your brothers and sisters?  Do you literally agonize over them?  Do you have a servant’s heart with regard to them?
If you read the not included verses found in this chapter of 3-7 you will see how interconnected we are.  In the verses that are included you can see the anguish that Paul was experiencing for the Corinthians and how even for the eloquent Paul, difficult to express.  And once more the interconnected nature we have as brothers and sisters.
He considers how to balance pain, grief, joy, sorrow, guilt, correction, forgiveness, comfort, timing, love, forgiveness again and whew, the evil one’s ploys!
Our actions, thoughts and prayers should not be self-centered and Paul shows how we must weigh decisions because they affect not just ourselves.
Having said that, I must share with you that I am considering discontinuing these commentaries as I near the 4 year mark.  It has been increasingly difficult to find time to write and post weekly.  I have been unable to find both scope and sequences telling me the scriptures for each week that most will follow after August 31.  Failing to include one would leave some out.
How much do I do this for myself to serve and how much do I do it for you?  How much difference does it make and how much more a difference could I make in other areas if so applied?
I understand the anguish in Paul’s words, do you?

For Discussion:
1.      Discuss if people are becoming more self-centered including Christians.
2.      Who else should we consider besides our brothers and sisters?
3.      Discuss what you learned about Paul.
4.      Discuss what you learned about discipline in the church.
5.      Discuss what you learned about forgiveness in the church.
6.      Discuss what you learned about leadership.
7.      Even though you will cover the first 4 verses on August 24 please include 2 Corinthians 7 in your preparation for today’s lesson.
8.      Blessings, Jed


Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. For personal selfish reasons, I hope you will decide you can continue this blog. I frequently share your thoughts with the class I teach that is based on this series. It makes a good supplement to our denominational materials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,

    I know I thanked you in my email but thanks again and thanks for teaching!

    ReplyDelete