Sunday, October 5, 2014

On 10-12-14, Job 19:1-7, 23-29 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as Even So, My Redeemer Lives or I Know That My Redeemer Liveth

Even So, My Redeemer Lives
Or
I Know That My Redeemer Liveth
 Job 19:1-7, 23-29
International Sunday School Lesson
October 12, 2014
                                                                                 


Commentary
By
Jed Greenough
                                                            
Last week I proposed that God did not answer Habakkuk’s complaining but rather spoke past him.  This week as we begin in Job we see that he figured that out too when he said in verse 7 that he’d been wronged but got no response from God.  But Job is still in for some surprises as we study this book over the next couple weeks.
Have you been wronged or suffered and cried out to God but felt that you got no response?  Perhaps you know someone who has fallen away because this happened to them.
Job has demonstrated in this week’s scripture what being a faithful Christian today can be like when we suffer in all the myriad of ways we will.  Job lost his family, his servants and his livestock.  He suffered from depression and had to “endure” his friends.  Despite the fact that there is nothing new under the sun, to Job this was a unique experience as it seems to each of us when we suffer.  But I think to be fair to ourselves I believe it is important to read Job and gain inspiration because sometimes we can be a little too hard on ourselves and our faith when we do suffer.
We read the thoughts that are going through Job’s mind I ask you to consider that God knows them so why “hide” them?  We see that Job asks God about what is happening and there isn’t anything wrong with that per say but in the end as God replied to Habakkuk that the righteous will live on by faith we see that is what Job did, live on by faith.  We read this in perhaps the most famous verse from Job when he said, “I know that my redeemer lives.”
Sometimes when I read Job it seems he has lucid and then unclear moments and if we don’t keep his suffering in mind we might not give Job the weight it deserves.  If you’ve had this problem concentrate on the fact that despite what he’d been through He wished ironically enough that his words of faith were recorded.  He still yearned for God and the day when he would meet Him.

For Discussion:
1.      Do you still sing the great old song I Know That My Redeemer Liveth?
2.      Discuss what Job has been through.
3.      Discuss helpful examples from your life or another’s.
4.       Discuss Job’s speaking out of his despair.
5.      Discuss Job’s friends.
6.      Discuss why Job calls God “my Redeemer”.
7.      On a side note pray for all your fellow students throughout the world.  Some are strong but many are just beginning and others are facing a myriad of challenges.

Upcoming Lessons
10-19-14   Hope Complains or I Will Call on God, Job 24:1, 9-12, 19-25
10-26-14   Hope Satisfies or Things to Wonderful for Me, Job 42:1-10
11-2-14     God’s Divine Glory Returns or God’s Glory Fills the Temple, Ezekiel 43:1-12
11-9-14     The Altar, A Sign of Hope or The Altar Offers Hope, Ezekiel 43:13-21

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment